This was Playboi Carti's sophomore album
The build-up for Playboi Carti's Whole Lotta Red lasted over two years. The album was finally released on December 25, 2020. He shared the artwork and the release date on December 21 of that very week.
From festival grounds to headphones, the 25-year-old “mumble rapper” is still in conversations for his sophomore body of work. Here are five facts about the album that made Playboi Carti's rockstar rapper status more definitive.
5) The album debuted atop the US Billboard 200, earning 100,000 album-equivalent units, earning Carti his first No. 1 album of his career.
4) Carti says “What?!” on average 30 times per song, 713 times total on the album.
3) The album is STILL in the top 50 of Billboard 200
**At the time of this article.
2) The album was executive produced by Kanye West and Matthew Williams -the Creative Director of Givenchy clothing.
1) The album features 23 credited producers.
This included popular names like Wheezy, Pi'erre Bourne, and Maaly Raw, but also comes with a handful of newcomers. In a conversation with Kid Cudi for Interview Magazine, Carti explained why he decided to collaborate with so many different names:
“You got rappers who like being around rappers, and then you got rappers like me who like being around producers,” he said. “I'm always looking for that new sound. I'm a producer-head. That's what I love. And I'm never stuck on one producer, either. We're only getting older, and I like having young n-ggas around to tell me what's fire right now. I ain't never dropping that album without popping a new producer or giving a producer who's been going crazy his spotlight. So it was normal to me.”