If you call yourself a Playboi Carti fan, here are 11 facts (and some) you didn’t know about Jordan Carter AkA Playboi Carti, $ir Cartier & Cash Carti.
11. Playboi Carti’s first rap name was $ir Cartier. In 2011, Playboi Carti released music under the moniker ‘$ir Cartier.’ A lot of his early work has been deleted from the Internet.
10. Playboi Carti released his first mixtape ‘Young Mi$fit’ under $ir Cartier in 2012 when he was just 16. The mixtape had nine songs including a couple skits.
9. Playboi Carti made his first song ‘Cry’ on Garage Band. He was a member of the art collective Awful Records, where most of his earliest works were produced by Atlanta producer Ethereal, who helped him start a following.
8. Playboi Carti signed his record deal before he released an official full length mixtape or album. Playboi Carti is signed to A$AP Rocky’s AWGE record label and interscope records. Playboi Carti and A$AP Rocky met at a house party during SXSW.
7. Playboi Carti skipped his high school classes regularly to work on his music or work his job at H&M. Playboi Carti grew up in Riverdale, Georgia and went to North Springs Charter High School in Sandy Springs which former alumni T.I. and Ciara also attended.
6. Playboi Carti used to play ball growing up, Carti started playing basketball when he was a kid and he wanted to make it to the NBA. Playboi Carti was playing point guard in high school, he quit basketball after he got into a fight with his high school coach. He idolized Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady and Michael Jordan. Ball was life for Playboi Carti, now music is life.
4. Playboi Carti has worked with Frank Ocean. Frank Ocean and Playboi Carti have an unreleased song together. As a big Frank Ocean fan, Playboi Carti plays Frank Ocean’s music when girls come over to impress them. He likes to play the second part of Frank’s song “Nights”.
3. Playboi Carti doesn’t want any face tattoos, he wants to act and model so he wants to keep his face clean for the future.
2. Playboi Carti shopped in thrift stores in his youth, something that has had an effect on his fashion and music style.
1. Playboi Carti plans on starting his own fashion brand in the future, right now he’s focused on music but when he starts his brand he wants to really focus on it. Some of his favorite brands are Raf Simons and Balmain. He considers Kanye West to be his fashion inspiration.